Thursday, April 21, 2011

Holy Jason Chimera!

I really, REALLY wanted to write this post right after Chimera snuck in the game winner, but seeing as my hands were shaking from a mix of a release of anticipation as well as a pure, raw form of excitement, I figured it'd be better to wait. So i took off my jersey and sat in front of the fan, which was running on high-blast, just waiting for myself to calm down. And while I was sitting there, I thought of some stuff to write. Most of this is just "right off the fingertips" as I like to call it, so please read and comment back either on here or on Facebook and let me know what you think.

First thing I said when overtime started was "the first team to make a mistake will lose this game." Both teams did give up some early chances (cough,THE OVI BREAKAWAY, cough) because they were so tired, but the Caps were able to capitalize (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little one) on the final mistake made by Marion Gaborik and Henrik Lundqvist late in the second overtime. Good work, Chimer.

The first think I thought after the game was, wow, what a difference a year makes, and although one may argue that last year's Caps would be able to score enough goals to come back in that game, the fact is last year's Caps also would not have had the ability to lockdown defensively when it matters most, especially when they had been pretty bad early in the game. After going down 3-0, I thought it was over, and I'm not a man who gives up on his teams that easily. All I could see was a tied series and loads of anticipation and nervousness on the Washington side as the series headed back to DC. But the Caps proved all of us doubters (including all the Blueshirts at Madison Square Garden) that this team means business, and no lead is safe.

The series now comes back to the Phone Booth in DC for Game 5 on Saturday. The Caps were in a familiar postion last year, going up 3-1 on the Montreal Canadiens before regrettably losing the series in Game 7 a few days later, and many fans are going to point to that series as a point of anxiety heading into the match-up. And although that is definitely something that should be of concern to Washington and its fans, everyone also knows that this team is different. Without the friendly (and sort of quiet...) confines of Madison Square Garden, the Capitals will look to encapsulate the struggling Rangers in a sea of Red.

Its time to Unleash the Fury and oust the Rangers for good. Let's bring it home, boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment