Monday, December 6, 2010

Q & A with Drew Hallman

First off, I need to apologize for both Catie and I. We have not been posting nearly as much as we need to, but this is the first time I've been able to breath amidst the busy end to the college semester.

Tonight, we are going to do things a little differently. I am going to interview my friend and fellow Cap Fanatic (who is more knowledgable than myself) Drew Hallman, the man who got me into hockey two years ago.

Tim: Okay Drew first off, how do you feel about the Caps so far this season?

Drew: While the Caps are once again leading the league points this year, I still won't be completely satisfied with the team until the playoffs come around and I see Ovechkin raising the Cup above his head. If there's one thing last season taught, it was that regular season success means nothing but a seed in the playoffs.

T: How do you feel about the Fleischmann-Hannan trade?

D: While Fleischmann's offensive production will be missed, there still will be no shortage of it seeing that the Caps led the league with 318 goals last season, have a two time Rocket Richard trophy winning captain, have last season's leader in goals by a defenseman, and had a total of seven 20 goal scorers last season. Hannan, a player who would have led the team in shot blocking last season and who has played more NHL games than any other current player on the Caps, brings to the defense exactly what it was criticized for not having. Overall this was a positive trade to ensure bringing the Cup home to Washington this June.

T: Who do you believe is the toughest competition in the East?

D: Our top competition is the usual group of the Bruins, Penguins, Flyers, and now the Canadiens, though teams such as the Rangers and now our division rivals the Lightning and Thrashers and Hurricanes should not be overlooked.

T: Speaking of division rivals, the Caps now have some formidable competition in the Southeast, something that could not be said in the past few years. Which team out of the three you mentioned is the biggest threat and why?

D: I'd say its a tough decision between Atlanta and Tampa Bay with Tampa winning. Both teams have new coaches which add a great amount to their success and both teams have a good amount of Stanley Cup champions on their roster, however with last year's Rocket Richard trophy winner, Steven Stamkos, along with St Louis and Levcavalier, Tampa Bay is definitely our biggest threat.

T: Which Caps player has impressed you most so far?

D: While the play of Michal Neuvirth and John Carlson should not be overlooked, Alexander Semin's play this season has been the most impressive to me. Semins in a contract year and he's definitely playing like it. While I've always thought Semin has been capable of this play, what surprises me and impresses me is his consistency at which he's playing at it.

T: Who has been the most surprising Caps player in your eyes?

D: Matt Hendricks has surprised me the most this season. Arriving at training camp last minute on a tryout, I honestly didn't know much or think much of Hendricks. Thankfully though and much to my surprise, Hendricks has turned out to be a quality 3rd and 4th liner who can fit in at whatever position we need him and only brings positive things to this team.

T: Interesting answer my friend. With Fleischmann being traded, it looks as if the two centers behind Backstrom will now be Mathieu Perreault and Marcus Johansson. Which player do you think is better at this point in their career?

D: At this point in their careers I feel Perreault is better due to the fact that he has more experience than Johansson. At the ripe age of 20, Johansson, despite possibly having more talent than Perreault, is still adjusting the play in the NHL as well as play on North American ice as a whole.

T: Now just some quick questions about the Winter Classic. Give me a score prediction.

D: 5 to 3 in the Caps favor.

T: How do you like the throwback jerseys the Caps will be donning at the game?

D: Many caps fans have expressed negative views on the throwbacks, however I feel their complaints are minor things which they are making a bigger deal out of than they should. The classic throwbacks, paired with red pants and helmets, will definitely be the best looking jerseys on the ice on New Years Day.

T: Anything else you want to comment on about the Caps or the NHL in general?

D: I'd just like to say I'm glad New Jerseys gamble on Kovalchuk is working out just as they planned. His 5 goals on the year look promising for the next 15 years that the Devils will get all $100 million worth of.

Love the answer on that last one. Thanks again to Drew Hallman, not only for doing this interview, but also for getting me into this wonderful sport. I went to a few games when I was little, but becoming friends with Drew junior year of high school really pulled me into the sport. We'll be sitting together up in the nosebleeds on Thursday against the Panthers, GO CAPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment